Tuesday, January 19, 2010

After many weeks spent slowly picking away at odds and ends, I got sick of making little visible progress. So, over the past few days I finally pegged and wedged more than half of the frame. I used a large ratchet hold-down strap to pull the joints together before drilling and driving in a peg. It is nice to see that all of my time spent calculating the angles and dimensions payed off with tight joinery!

Yesterday I ran enough of the oak through a planer for the floor. There is some incredible wood under the rough weathered exterior! This floor might actually look too slick for my taste. I'll have to be sure to ding it up some by dropping some heavy things on it and by leaving a few strategically placed stains (not that I will have to try to hard to do that). To finish the prep work on the boards, I need to get a cutter for my router to mill the lap onto the edges.

More fun work is fast approaching! Soon I will get to lay the floor and build walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment