Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Painting in the big room


Last night I finished back priming the shiplap pine which will become my ceiling. Next step, nail it onto the framing! I am slowly getting closer to having a roof. I can't believe how long I have been working on this project.


It has been a nice week in the woods: A little rainy, but warm at least. A few weeks back I dug a test hole to see what the soil is like under the house for some footings. I dug though about 9 inches of topsoil, 9 inches of sandy clay and then hit gravel and water. As soon as I broke through that layer water started gushing into the hole. This is obviously not so good for a stable foundation for my house, but great for a small well to provide me with water for the kitchen sink! I will have to learn some more about drive point wells, but this seems like the perfect application for one. Over the past few weeks I have been watching the water table change through this hole. The other day it rose to within about an inch from the top. Everything around my house was swampy except for the little dry tuft that the house is sitting on. That must have been dumb luck that the trailer stopped there when I towed it down this winter. 


1 comment:

  1. You can try sponge paiting for little effect just not to make it dull and flat to look at.

    ReplyDelete